~*~ My sweet blogger friends ~*~

Saturday, May 18, 2013

A bit of a different post....My Favorite Brownies


Okay, so a few of you know I've been low carbing for 11 months now and have lost 70 pounds which is pretty amazing being as how I'm now in my 60's and fairly sedentary...well okay, very sedentary.  I have collected a pretty spectacular and delicious bunch of low carb recipes and this particular one is probably my very favorite sugar free, gluten free dessert.  I've tried to track down the creator and the best I can come up with is that it was originally on Suzanne Somers' website.

Because I love you I am going to share.  It is easy, delicious and there are no strange ingredients.  You're welcome!


Favorite Brownie Recipe  
8 oz. cream cheese
5 whole eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tblsp. melted butter
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. black walnut extract (optional)  I didn't use
1 cup sugar substitute, such as Splenda or Ideal

Place a bowl of hot water on bottom rack of oven. Preheat oven to 325.  Keeps it from cracking.

Soften cream cheese in microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir to eliminate hot spots. Add other ingredients and blend well with wire whisk (I use a mixer on low speed. It mixes better). Pour into well buttered 8" square pan. Place pan on rack above hot water & bake 30-40 min or until fairly firm. (My oven takes a little longer)  I cooked for 35 minutes.  Definitely needs 8x8 pan--someone else tried 8x6 and it didn't cook evenly.

Cool slightly and frost with cool ganache.    Ganache soaks in better if brownies are a bit warm.  Refrigerate until served.

Ganache:
 3 oz. unsweet chocolate  Just baking chocolate.  I used  90% Lindt bar but any baking chocolate will work.
1 cup Splenda - (splenda doesn't mix that well with melted chocolate so I used 16+ drops of EZ-Sweetz) which I believe is why it stayed shiny.  Definitely lower carb too.
1 1/4 cup heavy cream -   I used 1 cup
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt chocolate over simmering water. Add other ingredients--stir til all chocolatey grains are melted. Pour over brownies.

Someone else's note: 

**** I need to clarify that the ganache is really thin. If you like it a thicker more traditional ganache, I would cut the cream way down.....maybe use a couple tablespoons or to desired consistency. I like it thin so soaks into the brownie.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments!